Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Kamila Shamsie reads Michael Ondaatje

A writer's review of In the Skin of a Lion
"There are certain books that I claim to love and that I recommend to many of my friends, but it's not really love, it's just appreciation.

I know this because there are other books that I do truly deeply love. I love them so much that I can't risk giving them to friends who might not adore them as well — how could I be sure the friendship will survive such a blow? In the end, it seems safer to keep those books for myself.

And yet, it is also a quality of love to want to announce it from the rooftops. So here I am, telling anyone who will listen, of my love for Michael Ondaatje's In the Skin of a Lion."

more..

1 comment:

rama said...

yes, a rare gem of a book, breath-taking. another is Katharine Butler Hathaway's "The Little Locksmith" (pub in 1943 and then republsihed after being accidentally rediscovered, in 2000), The Day Lasts a Hundred Years by Chingiz Aitmatov (who passed away some months ago); and Fredrick Prokosch's "The Asiatics" (hailed by Thomas Mann after it was pub in 1935)

Search This Blog

My Blog List