Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Would people enjoy Harper Lee's new novel " Go Set A Watchman"?

Go Set A Watchman, the hotly anticipated novel by Harper Lee, is on sale now. According to BBC, the initial print run in USA is 2 millions and it would be released in 70 countries simultaneously. Of course a big moment in publishing.

But I'm not excited. In fact, reading the reviews and the first chapter of Watchman, I get less enthused to read the book.  Who would want to see Atticus, such a fine and rational being in Mockingbird to change suddenly into a bigot in Watchman?

These are worst times for the black in USA as they experience more and more violence and hatred from the white. I'm afraid in the new charged atmosphere the book's content could be a thing for glee for bigots, unintentionally though. May be it was the reason why the novel which was actually written before the Mockingbird was rejected by Lee's editor fifty five years ago.

Times have only changed for the worse now.

The publishing of the book may have a historic value, but I think it's not going to be welcome by many. Worse still, you can't re-read Mockingbird with same love and enthusiasm now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice information for all the readers.I did not get the Go Set A Watchman book from any place so i cannot read the book.Just i read the review about this novel and it is very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for share the good post.I like the way of writing and the presenting. They did not use tough words and the languages. I want to know more about the particular topic and also I need some ideas about the article writing.It is very useful my writing and researching. I searched many websites for my research.

Search This Blog

My Blog List