Friday, August 5, 2016

George Saunders Quotes

I’ve always – always – thought of myself as a fiction writer with comic inclinations. 

I’m a fiction writer. I use any- and everything I need to get certain effects that I’d describe as ‘emotional effects’ – to do the good old aesthetic work that stories do. 


do whatever it takes. Steer toward the energy. Don’t worry about being edgy or not being edgy or being soppy – if the emotion of the story is real and earned, it sort of retroactively justifies whatever form you’ve used.


What’s going to make my work vital and new is my taste, applied maniacally, over sufficient time.


I really want to play, and discover the internal dynamics of the story – find out, via intuition, what thrills the story wants to deliver.

No comments:

Search This Blog

My Blog List